College Fund Names 2007 Students of the YearAug 15th, 2007 | By tcj | Category: 19-1: Tribal College Students Today, Tribal College News
The American Indian College Fund has named its top American Indian tribal college students as 2007 “Students of the Year” based on their academic achievements and service to the community.
The fund hosted an awards banquet, sponsored by Coca-Cola, in Rapid City, SD, in March 2007, where each recipient received the prestigious award and was also awarded a scholarship sponsored by the Castle Rock Foundation. Including the Students of the Year, over 200 students were recognized by the fund at the banquet.
American Indian College Fund President Richard B. Williams (Oglala Lakota) and guest speaker Dr. Venida Chenault (Potowatomi), lauded the winning students’ accomplishments.
The Students of the Year represent a variety of tribes and attend tribal colleges and universities throughout the United States. Each student winner is selected by his or her individual tribal college.
The complete list of 2007 Students of the Year follows.
- Darren Horn, Bay Mills Community College
- Shari Bremner, Blackfeet Community College
- Kristan Green, Cankdeska Cikana Community College
- Tommy Robinson, Chief Dull Knife College
- George Otradovec, College of Menominee Nation
- Lynette Dennison, Diné College
- Thomas Drift, Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
- Jasmine Knudsen, Fort Belknap College
- Crystal Acosta, Fort Berthold Community College
- Elijah Hopkins, Fort Peck Community College
- Darryl Monteau, Haskell Indian Nations University
- Audrey Dreaver, Institute of American Indian Arts
- Francis LaPointe III, Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College
- Ruby Litz, Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College
- Amanda Burnette, Leech Lake Tribal College
- Dustie Cummins, Little Big Horn College
- Ryan Turner, Little Priest Tribal College
- Peggy Thompson, Navajo Technical College
- Gayleen Appling, Nebraska Indian Community College
- Angela Knox, Northwest Indian College
- Raulin Martin, Oglala Lakota College
- Sean Chief Moon, Red Crow Community College
- Phillip Medina, Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College
- Shandee Gillin, Salish Kootenai College
- Karen Little Thunder, Sinte Gleska University
- Stefanie Mesteth, Sisseton Wahpeton College
- Jenna Gayton, Sitting Bull College
- Christel Willie, Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute
- Kelly Jo Morsette, Stone Child College
- Damascus Francisco, Tohono O’odham Community College
- Jeffrey Grant, Turtle Mountain Community College
- Sylvester Thomas, United Tribes Technical College
- Jessica Goodwin, White Earth Tribal and Community College
The American Indian College Fund was established in 1989 to increase educational opportunities for Native students. It is based in Denver. In addition to distributing scholarships to students attending tribal colleges across the country, the College Fund also supports endowments, developmental needs, and public awareness for the tribal colleges.
For more information, see www.collegefund.org