16-4 “International Indigenous Education” Resource Guide

May 15th, 2005 | By | Category: 16-4: International Indigenous Education, Resource Guides

Over the past 5 years, the American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) has helped organize and sponsor two international conferences where tribal colleges and universities (TCUs) met potential partners for international projects. The Globalization of Tribal Colleges and Universities International Conference in August 2000 was supported by the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges (NASULGC), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

In September 2004, AIHEC sponsored a meeting in conjunction with the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI). More than 50 people attended representing federal agencies, NMAI, AIHEC, foundations, the World Bank, World Indigenous Nations Higher Education Consortium, Maori post-secondary institutions, eight TCUs, indigenous people in South America, and several state universities.

The guide below evolved primarily from those meetings. It lists both public and private resources, including several agencies whose international partnerships with tribal colleges and universities are described elsewhere in this issue. The opportunities listed apply to both individuals and institutions.

The New Indigenous Peoples Funding and Resource Guide

The Indigenous Peoples Funding and Resource Guide was developed in collaboration with International Funders for Indigenous Peoples (IFIP) and First Peoples Worldwide. It has been distributed to hundreds of indigenous communities and nonprofit organizations in both English and Spanish. The guide helps build the indigenous communities’ capacity for successful grants. It covers the elements of a proposal; conducting foundation research; useful research websites; glossary of fundraising terms; and information on more than 250 foundations, corporations, and government agencies that provide funding for indigenous and grassroots projects. To purchase copies, download the form from IFIP’s website at www.firstpeoples.org/ifip.html. Indigenous organizations can call Evelyn Arce-White at (540) 371-5615 ext.14 for a complimentary copy.

National Endowment for the Humanities

The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) offers a special grant opportunity for faculty members at tribal colleges and universities to develop educational projects in all subject areas of the humanities, including (but not limited to) American history, world literature, languages, and culture studies. Awards to single institutions may range up to a maximum of $30,000; awards to two or more collaborating institutions may range up to $75,000. Interested parties are encouraged to discuss project ideas with an NEH program officer well in advance of the June 15, 2005, application deadline. Contact Dr. Robert Sayers in the NEH Division of Education Programs at (202) 606-8215 or rsayers@neh.gov.

In addition to this special initiative, NEH has a variety of additional opportunities for tribal colleges, some of which could support international collaborations, in its regular grant categories. See the NEH website at www.neh.gov.

Visitor’s Guide to USDA’s International Programs

The Cooperative State Research and Education Extension Service website provides this comprehensive document, which was culled from USDA websites and includes the links to websites. Go to the website www.csrees.usda.gov and click on international activities under quick links. The visitor’s guide is near the bottom of the page.

Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs

The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State sponsors a wide range of international academic, professional, and cultural exchange programs and activities that promote mutual understanding between U.S. citizens and people from other countries worldwide. As part of its diversity efforts, the bureau is committed to expanding program participation by tribal colleges and universities (TCUs). The programs listed below are particularly relevant.

The Gilman Scholarship Program provides awards of up to $5,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to support study abroad programs.

The Fulbright Scholar Program provides grants for U.S. faculty and professionals to lecture and/or conduct research worldwide. The Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program brings faculty from abroad to lecture for an academic year at U.S. minority-serving institutions and other colleges and universities.

The Fulbright Occasional Lecturer Program enables Fulbright visiting scholars already in the United States to visit other campuses for 2-day to 5-day periods to offer teaching and training for students and faculty and to participate in campus and community programs.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.